“it is pure potential. Every ball or skein of yarn holds something inside it, and the great mystery of what that
might be can be almost spiritual”


--Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot's Bag of Knitting Tricks

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Part of This World

I am not a huge fan of making amigurumi. Don't get me wrong...the little dolls are adorable (most of the time), but I just don't typically enjoy the actual crocheting. I prefer to work with bigger hooks and faster stitches. I'm not a huge fan of the single crochet in general. I just takes too long. Granted, I've only done a few of them, but I don't see myself making an army of little crocheted creatures any time soon.

However, when friends look around and find something they want, I usually give it a whirl. A friend went to Disney World with her husband and young daughter and asked me to make an Ariel doll for her little girl. I offered to make a removable tail and a dress so Ariel could be a mermaid and a human.


 
Since I don't do many of these, I didn't have safety eyes, so I sewed eyes on her face. The tail isn't exactly right, and I should have made the skirt fuller, but I like her hair and I really like the way I did the tie for the top. Though you can't see it, there is a loop on one end and a knot on the other, so it connects without having to be tied. I don't plan on listing it on etsy or making another one any time soon, but it is nice to know I have some versatility.

No comments:

Post a Comment